Thursday, August 25, 2011

Exhibitor Spotlight: Karen Houser


MyStudio
Karen Houser
Buckingham, PA

Years with Doylestown Arts Festival:

5+ years

Facebook: 
MyStudio


Favorite Place to Visit in Bucks County:
Doylestown! Love the restaurants and shops!

Favorite Thing to Do in Doylestown:
My husband and I love to walk through town, visit the shops, and try out the different restaurants.

About the Artist:
I have spent 23 years teaching art to elementary school students in the Central Bucks School District. I love working with kids! In my spare time (ha ha!), I work in my studio at home. It is a great escape! Most of my work is created during the summer and weekends when I can dovote hours at a time to my art. I began working in clay - tiles and pottery. After a Sunday afternoon glass fusing class, I was hooked! I transformed my studio from clay to glass, and have been cutting, assembliing and fusing glass together since. Recently I discovered that I like to assemble glass pieces into wonderful mosaics! My art is always changing and growing - life inspires me! Stay tuned...

About the Work (What/who has inspired you?):
My favorite artist is Dale Chihuly. I love his glass sculptures, and how the light affects the colors of the glass. I try to include light and reflection in my pieces. I find it challenging choosing color combinations that will create a fantastic glow.

Finding items on the side of the road by someone's trashcan creates great inspiration. Quite often my husband will come home with a piece of ""trash"" he has found for me! It's fun to turn old mirrors, frames, windows, shutters and doors into fantastic new mosaics that become a piece of artwork that can be enjoyed for years to come.

Samples of Work:





No comments:

Post a Comment