Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Exhibitor Spotlight: Cowgirl Chile Co. Jewelry

Laura Rutkowski, 
Cowgirl Chile Co. Jewelry
 
Years of Participation in the Arts Fest: 
7

Website:  
www.cowgirlchile.com
About the Artist or Work: 
I'm constantly striving to make something beautiful and meaningful. Sometimes someone will tell me that they wear a piece of my jewelry every day. Or that a piece of my jewelry has helped them through a rough patch in their life. It's then that I know what I'm doing is really working and that my jewelry has meaning for my customer. I believe all jewelry has the potential to become a personal talisman for the wearer. Jewelry marks times and occasions in our lives and because of that, it's important. I do a lot of reading about ancient civilizations and the jewelry that was buried in tombs and graves. It fascinates me.
Where do you find your inspiration?  
Lately much of my inspiration has come from studying the jewelry produced by ancient civilizations. I've had a lifelong fascination with history and have spent a lot of time looking at artifacts and jewelry in museums and, when at home, books. I'm always fascinated and inspired that people have worn beads and jewelry since prehistoric times. On a recent visit to The Smithsonian I marveled over a tiny bone bead which was found in a cave dwelling. That one little bead was so inspiring because I love to imagine the caveman or woman who tied it around their neck on a piece of sinew, and thus adorned themselves with their own personal talisman.

Favorite Shop or Restaurant in Doylestown:
I love Kawa Grill for delicious Indian food. They will make it as spicy or as mild as you want. The portions are huge and they have incredible vegetable samosas that I'm sort of addicted to. Well, I'm also partial to their naan -- especially their cheese naan. It's hot and buttery and the kind of food that feeds the soul. Because they are located right next to my studio and shop, it's also really convenient. I've joked with the owners that we could install a door between our walls and they could just hand the food to me through the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment